By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have resulted in conflict, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kin breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable principles are nonetheless renowned and pervasive--in truth, they may effect your individual pondering with out your figuring out it. the following with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes each one of those evil books via its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, realized, and provocative exposé, you are going to learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince used to be the muse for an extended record of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on procedure "proved" God's lifestyles purely by means of making Him a production of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the idea that we've got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may well win the award for the main malicious publication ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past reliable and Evil issued the decision for a global governed exclusively by way of the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf used to be one of those "spiritualized Darwinism" that money owed for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa grew to become out to be a construction of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area bargains a short schooling at the worst principles in human history--and how we will be able to keep away from them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Best conservatism & liberalism books
The main major shift in environmental governance during the last thirty years has been the convergence of environmental and liberal fiscal norms towards "liberal environmentalism" - which predicates environmental safeguard at the merchandising and upkeep of a liberal financial order. Bernstein assesses the explanations for this historic shift, introduces a socio-evolutionary cause of the choice of foreign norms, and considers the results for our skill to handle worldwide environmental difficulties.
This booklet is an enormous contribution to the present concept of liberalism by means of an eminent political theorist. It demanding situations the perspectives of such theorists as Rawls, Dworkin, and Ackerman who think that the essence of liberalism is that it may stay impartial pertaining to other ways of lifestyles and person conceptions of what's sturdy or worthwhile.
A number of the critical matters confronted by way of ecu international coverage - equivalent to kingdom fragility, unlawful migration and environmental degradation - are demanding situations of world improvement. For eu policymakers the expanding significance of improvement as an exterior kinfolk precedence will call for the refinement of present tools and the trying out of latest methods.
In an period disgusted with politicians and a number of the tools of "direct democracy," Walter Lippmann's The Phantom Public continues to be as proper as ever. It finds Lippmann at a time while he was once most important of the ills of yank democracy. Antipopulist in sentiment, this quantity defends elitism as a major and unique highbrow choice, one with massive precursors within the American previous.
- The Enemy At Home: The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11
- The Naked Capitalist
- Tea Party Women: Mama Grizzlies, Grassroots Leaders, and the Changing Face of the American Right
- The Good Fight: Why Liberals---and Only Liberals---Can Win the War on Terror and Make America Great Again
Additional resources for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
For our purposes, it doesn’t matter whether you think the Edenic account is a fable, because the really important thing is to see that one story about human nature and human origins is being replaced by another. Hobbes’s state of nature is a new revelation, a counter-Genesis account meant to reveal what we really were at the very dawn of humanity and hence what, deep down, we truly are now. But it is entirely a fiction. Please drink in these words, swirl them around in your soul, meditate upon them: Hobbes’s state of nature is entirely a fiction.
If God is whatever we very clearly and distinctly imagine Him to be, then if we can very clearly and distinctly imagine Him not to be, He isn’t. To be or not to be, that becomes the modern quandary about God. But the horns of this dilemma are largely chimerical; that is, they are the horns of a mythical beast created by Descartes’ imagination. His beastly reasoning has led us to reject God on the grounds that our thinking about Him is fuzzy, and to accept the most ridiculous utopian fantasies about humanity because we can imagine them quite clearly and distinctly.
If that weren’t enough, we must doubt even reason. ” And what was left after this scorched-earth approach? According to Descartes: . . during the time I wanted thus to think that everything was false, it was necessary that I, who thought thus, be something. And noticing that this truth—I think, therefore I am—was so firm and so certain that the most extravagant suppositions of the skeptics were unable to shake it, I judge that I could accept it without scruple as the first principle of the philosophy I was seeking (Part IV).