By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in conflict, genocide, totalitarian oppression, relations breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable principles are nonetheless well known and pervasive--in truth, they could impact your individual pondering with out your knowing it. the following with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new booklet, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes every one of those evil books via its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you are going to learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince was once the muse for a protracted record of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on procedure "proved" God's life in simple terms through making Him a production of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the assumption that we have got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may win the award for the main malicious ebook ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past solid and Evil issued the decision for a global governed completely by way of the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf was once one of those "spiritualized Darwinism" that debts for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa became out to be a construction of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm deals a short schooling at the worst principles in human history--and how we will steer clear of them within the future.
Read or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World PDF
Similar conservatism & liberalism books
The main major shift in environmental governance during the last thirty years has been the convergence of environmental and liberal fiscal norms towards "liberal environmentalism" - which predicates environmental safety at the merchandising and upkeep of a liberal fiscal order. Bernstein assesses the explanations for this historic shift, introduces a socio-evolutionary reason for the choice of foreign norms, and considers the consequences for our skill to deal with worldwide environmental difficulties.
This booklet is a massive contribution to the present idea of liberalism by means of an eminent political theorist. It demanding situations the perspectives of such theorists as Rawls, Dworkin, and Ackerman who think that the essence of liberalism is that it may stay impartial touching on alternative ways of existence and person conceptions of what's solid or worthy.
Some of the imperative concerns confronted through european overseas coverage - comparable to nation fragility, unlawful migration and environmental degradation - are demanding situations of world improvement. For ecu policymakers the expanding significance of improvement as an exterior relatives precedence will call for the refinement of latest tools and the trying out of recent ways.
In an period disgusted with politicians and some of the tools of "direct democracy," Walter Lippmann's The Phantom Public continues to be as correct as ever. It unearths Lippmann at a time whilst he used to be most crucial of the ills of yankee democracy. Antipopulist in sentiment, this quantity defends elitism as a major and specified highbrow choice, one with significant precursors within the American earlier.
- The Unvarnished Doctrine: Locke, Liberalism, and the American Revolution
- Cultural Revolution, Culture War: How Conservatives Lost England and How to Get It Back
- Pragmatic Conservatism: Edmund Burke and His American Heirs
- Neo-Liberal Scotland: Class and Society in a Stateless Nation
- Pragmatic Conservatism: Edmund Burke and His American Heirs
- Keeping the Tablets: Modern American Conservative Thought
Additional info for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World
I pray that readers can see the foolishness of this reasoning. I can think of a man or woman who is more perfect than any I've ever met. Does that mean either of them necessarily exists? I can think of a superior alien race existing on a much nicer planet than Earth. Does either exist? Our thinking of anything is not proof that it exists, let alone proof that whatever seems to me to be "clear and distinct " is given a divine stamp of authority, as if God put it there. 28 10 BOOKS THAT SCREWED UP THE WORLD Descartes' approach to religion is not only false, but creates the characteristically modem belief that God is whatever we "very clearly and very distinctly " imagine Him to be.
Sex is natural. The chains of Discourse on the Origin and Foundations ofInequality among Men (1 755) 47 morality are not. " Such is true, but because Rousseau was a profound thinker, the damage goes far deeper. Not just sexual morality, but all morality was unnatural. For "men in that [primitive] state" were entirely amoral: as they did not have "among themselves any kind of moral relationship or known duties, they could be neither good nor evil, and had neither vices nor virtues. " 1 2 Morality is therefore purely artificial.
But in the state of nature, each man is entirely independent. " 14 We are not far from Marx and Engel's famous cry that closes the Communist Manifesto: "The communists disdain to conceal their views and aims. They openly declare that their ends can be attained only by the forcible overthrow of all existing social con ditions. Let the ruling classes tremble at a communistic revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. " 1" 48 10 BOOKS THAT SCREWED UP THE WORLD There are, of course, important differences with Marx.