The Greatest American Rock Band Of All Time

PJ

Here are 5 reasons supporting the fact that Pearl Jam is the Greatest American Rock Band Of All Time.

1. LONGEVITY.
The band formed in 1990, and released it’s debut album the very next year in 1991. Here we are 24 years later and they’re still trucking along on massive sold out tours in support of their 10th studio album.

2. CREATIVE VITALITY.
When a band is as successful as Pearl Jam was early on, it’s pretty easy to coast for the majority of your career, relying on those hits to pay the bills . Why bother making new albums when everyone really just wants to hear those 3 great songs you recorded 20 years ago? Well, not Pearl Jam. When they make a new album (which they do on an average of every 2.3 years), they tour in support of that album and they play the majority of the songs from that new album. And Pearl Jam fans LOVE that, because those new songs are consistently awesome. And let’s face it, we’ll all live if we don’t get to hear “Jeremy” today.

3. LIVE PERFORMANCE.
As dedicated fans know, this band plays a different set list at each and every show. And with 10 studio albums, a deep collection of B-sides, and an arsenal of cover songs at their disposal, there is more than enough to choose from. Not only is the set list different each night, but when Pearl Jam takes the stage they’re in it for the long haul. It’s rare to see them play for anything less than 2 and a half hours. Many shows push 3 hours, and some have gone longer. Their longest show to date was nearly 3 and a half hours. You can leave as early as you want, but you can’t ever say you didn’t get your money’s worth.

4. EXPERIMENTATION / RISK TAKING.
Older bands like AC/DC and the newly reunited original lineup of Black Sabbath rely completely on nostalgia in the rare case that they do make a new album. They basically churn out watered down versions of the same album over and over again in fear of losing the winning formula. Pearl Jam has consistently evolved over the years, to the point of alienating large portions of their fan base. Some weirdness was under way on the third album; ‘Vitalogy’, but when they released ‘No Code’ in 1996 all bets were off. This was Pearl Jam not giving even one single solitary fuck. Let’s not forget about the band’s anti trust lawsuit against Ticketmaster, which also happened around the release of ‘No Code’. Pearl Jam have balls.

5. GREAT MUSIC.
Let’s not leave out the most obvious one. As subjective as any art can be, it would be hard for even the most casual music-listener to deny Pearl Jams strength in songwriting. The secret weapon is the fact that they have 5 guys who are all capable songwriters contributing to the process. Not a single one of these 10 studio albums have gone by without at least a couple of show-stopping, classic songs. Any band in the world would be lucky to have any one of them, and Pearl Jam gives birth to these timeless musical gems on the regular.

One could go on and on about the bands charity, activism, control over their career, etc. I love a good music debate, so if you think another band truly qualifies of Greatest American Rock Band Of All Time, bring forth ye argument.

24 Responses to The Greatest American Rock Band Of All Time

1. bucnblood says:

No your dead on…..Pearl Jam is the greatest.

2. PJRAWWWKS says:

I agree with being them being the greatest and all those who disagree, well that’s okay too.

3. Jon says:

Your final point is crucial to this article….it’s so subjective. To ME, Pearl Jam is the best band of all time. I’ve been listening to them since the early 90s and I love them. My wife can’t stand them…she’d clearly not agree. But she’s probably argue that Nelly was somewhere close to the top so I have to question her judgement.

4. suziemay says:

#6: The Faithfull Fans :)

5. Sarah says:

you’ll get no argument from me..! plus, they all seem to be genuinely nice guys.

6. Pat PJ says:

They are f*cking great. That is it!

7. edster says:

Aerosmith will pop someone will say skynyrd even van halen I suppose. But for rock, quality overall body of work and as u said consistency of not doing songs like love in an elevator……I would have to agree. That bein said I like alot of the aforementioned bands as well…rock on ,

8. Anna says:

It doesn’t get Eddie Vedder than this. Pearl Jam is The Greatest!

9. jr says:

Xmas Singles, B-sides and covers Pearl Jam pay tribute to the greats.

10. Jorge Farah says:

The points about creative vitality and risk-taking might have applied all the way up to around 2005. There was a real shift then, where the band reacted to their declining popularity by turning to boneheaded rawkn’roll by the numbers (and, in the case of Lightning Bolt and Backspacer, poppy new-wave inspired MOR). It’s a shame.

11. Efrain says:

Best band ever. U can’t really compare other bands to them. They’ve gotten better over the years. I’ve been a fan since the 90s. And I hope I can one day bring my now 4 month old daughter to see them when she’s older…. keep on rockin pearl jam

12. Angela Garcia says:

Will always be an awsome group of guys. Transparent human beings can only get better .They offer great music n love their fans. Timing was perfect for these guys.

13. Joe shmoe says:

How many shows have ya been to?

14. Dimitrispearljam says:

PEARL JAM IS THE GREATEST BAND IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC…..

15. Kay sat says:

They mean so much to such a wide diverse fan base through out the world… Yes we are the faithful fans that have and will follow them anywhere!!! They are not just a band to me they are more than that!!! Thanks for the great article🎤🎸❤️

16. Patus says:

I agree with what’s so good about Pearl Jam. Vitalogy was of the good kind of weirdness. And there’s no need to put Black Sabbath down. Their 13th album is great.

17. Mr WTF says:

Personally I will still take Tool as my #1. But yes Pearl Jam also holds a large portion of space in my music collection.

18. TREVOR says:

GREATEST BAND EVER. I DON’T CARE WHAT COUNTRY YOU ARE TALKING ABUT!

19. Ledale Shaw says:

Yes yes.and here here…last year in San Pablo.. who but #pearljam can make 300,000 + PPL TAKE THREE STEPS BACK. …PJ are one of the greatest….hands down

20. DP says:

26 shows and counting. Best. Band. Ever.

21. likhelbentin says:

And to bring back to bright lights in regarding LBC, Live Through It and still be able to keep going out night after night and just PLAY and still having a blast and for them still love working with each other. Besides that the they all still respect and truly love each other as the brothers they werewhen they all began.

Side note, Matt is still touring with them, leaving Soundgarden to employ a touring drummer to fill in for Matt. I love SG too but Matt is now poly in reguards with picking PJ as his primary and SG as secondary band. That isin rregards of touring, I am sure if PJ and SG both weren’t both on heavy touring roations, Matt would have done the SG tour too!

22. Kels says:

And so say all of Us

23. Sean Tomkins says:

Greatest voice of his generation is Eddie. Their live performances are without par. Lightning Bolt is their best since Yield in my opinion.

24. Jenius says: