KKKramer, and the use of Nigger.

KKKramer

It’s been beaten to death by now, but what the hell, I guess I’ll chime in with my two cents. If you haven’t seen it yet, take a look at Michael Richards as he freaks out and goes on a racist rampage on stage (link here).

Surely I am no racist, but I have to wonder just how much blame Michael Richards should get for this. Speaking from the perspective of an average white American, I know we’re told that “nigger” is a bad word, in the same way we’re told that “bitch” or “asshole” is a bad word. I can also say that as far as I can tell, the dominant culture representing Black people right now is Hip Hop. Hip Hop music, movies, style, and entertainment of almost every kind. And if the actions of that culture are to be taken into consideration (which they damn well should be), the word “nigger” and it’s popular variant “nigga” are perfectly fine to use. What percentage of black males between the ages of 10 and 40 use that word? I don’t have a statistic, but I would guess it’s pretty damn high. I don’t think a Hip Hop record has been made in the last decade without using that word at least 10 times. I also live in a city that is around 43% black, and I know for a fact that the word is used very freely among much of that population.

I understand the roots of the word. I understand and sympathize with the fact that it can be used in the context of hatred. I do not understand the idea that a word can be used by one race and not by another. It’s just dumb. I don’t know what the solution is. Possible solutions:
• Blacks need to get over it, it’s just a word.
• If Blacks can use it, Whites can use it.
• Everyone should stop using it.

6 Responses to KKKramer, and the use of Nigger.

1. Kelly says:

For my two cents….

I think the issue in this situation is not the word that he used, but the way in which he used it. It was full of hatred and disdain. And furthermore, I dont think that word was the entire issue – or even the majority of it for that matter. During his tirade, Richards spoke in a nostalgic manner about the lynchings of black people that were done in a time when it was perfectly acceptable (and encouraged) to hate someone for the color of their skin.

Therefore, while I agree that the hip-hop community certainly propogates the terminology and conveys a sense of hypocrisy when people of other races use it, I don’t think that arguement is applicable to this situation.

2. GetHurt says:

Understood. My point is, take every word he said, let it come out of Chris Rocks mouth instead, and see if you still have a controversy.

3. Printy Spazy says:

Though I do not use the ‘N’ word, or condone use of the ‘N’ word, I wonder if Maybe the only reason Michael Richards went there is because that was the meanest thing he could think of to say which kind of makes a little sense given the situation. Obviously he felt insulted, upset, and put on the defensive before he exploded. When you’re telling someone off, your not usually looking out for their feelings. The point is to upset them back…or something. I guess I don’t really go around telling people off either.

As a side note, I don’t even like to hear black people use the ‘N’ word, so ideally, I vote for choice #3, but wouldn’t it be the ultimate revenge on the white man if #1 could be possible?

4. Rich (chird) says:

I can make fun of poor white trash. I happen to be poor white trash. If someone called my mom poor white trash I’d harm them. If any word is used abusively its differant then any other context, but I also think I’d feel differant if someone from the main line used the term white trash as oppossed to someone from kensington. I’m not saying its right or wrong I’m just saying I understand it when its ok for your cousin to say something about your family as oppossed to your neighbor.

5. Heidi says:

I’ve been thinking about this a bunch lately, and I think that it is absolutely ridiculous. If an entire race of people is going to be outraged over a word, then they need to stop throwing that word around like it’s nothing.

Michael Richards got himself into the limelight just in time for some Seinfeld DVD release. He was washed up and noone would even know who he was had he not been riding the coattails of Jerry Seinfeld. It was a publicity stunt just like all the cooch shots all over the media of Britney Spears, Paris Hilton and countless hundred other mediocre female celebretards.

Clerks 2 has a really funny scene where they argue about whether or not “porch monkey” is a racial slur…

Randal Graves: Since when did “porch monkey” suddenly become a racial slur?
    Dante Hicks: When ignorant racists started saying it a hundred years ago.
    Randal Graves: Oh bullshit. My grandmother used to call me a ‘Porch monkey’ all the time when I was a kid because I’d sit on the porch and stare at my neighbors.
    Dante Hicks: Despite the fact that your grandmother might’ve used it as a term of endearment for you, it’s still a racial slur. It’d be like your grandmother calling you a little kike.
    Randal Graves: No it is not. Plus my grandmother had nothing but the upmost respect for the Jewish community. When I was a kid, she’d always tell me to treat the Jewish kids well or they’d put the sheeny curse on me.
    Dante Hicks: WHAT THE FUCK, MAN?
    Randal Graves: What?
    Dante Hicks: Sheeny is a racial slur, too!
    Randal Graves: No it is not.
    Dante Hicks: Yes, it is!
    Randal Graves: Well, she never called any Jew, sheeny, she just used to say sheeny curse a lot. It was cute.
    Dante Hicks: It wasn’t cute, it was racist!
    Randal Graves: I disagree, man, she was just an oldtimer. That’s the way people talked back then. Didn’t mean they were racist. – But, my grandmother did refer to a broken bottle once as a “nigger knife” once. – You know, come to think of it, my grandmother was kind of a racist.
    Dante Hicks: You think? those are racial slurs!

Aaaanyway… I don’t think that nigger is such a bad word. People need to build a bridge and get the fuck over it.

6. Night Train says:

The word Nigger or Nigga as it being used these daysis very offensive. I am offeneded when it is used, hell i am a rapper who uses it. my white friends use it. it’s all about the context in which it is used. words might not have power, but the emotions behind the are all powerful.